Saturday, May 5, 2012

So I was curious. . .

I know that health statistics lag a few years, depending on the latest reports. In the I, MOM project, and installation, I've been using the statistics for 2011--a personal year for me, not only because last year is the year Amnesty International released their updated data for Deadly Delivery, but also because that's the year my daughter was born.
Today I was wondering, however, what I could do with the US census birth rates per state from the latest year available and the maternal mortality rates from Deadly Delivery (the data for which, I believe, is also from 2009 numbers).
Why, figure out how many women died giving birth in each state in 2009, of course!

So this is what I'll be doing tonight--converting ratios to percentages, multiplying percentages by number of births, and coming up with the number of women who died, by state.
I haven't been able to find the statistics for this online as of yet, so I expect the results to be interesting. I'll post again when I have the hard numbers for all 50 states figured out!

No comments:

Post a Comment